Optical computing means performing computations, operations, storage and transmission of data using light instead of electricity. Instead of silicon chips optical computer uses organic polymers like phthalocyanine and polydiacetylene.Optical technology promises massive upgrades in the efficiency and speed of computers, as well as significant shrinkage in their size and cost. An optical desktop computer is capable of processing data up to 1,00,000 times faster than current models.
– Optical computing are cheaper or more powerful than conventional computers. – Within one data path several data sets can be transmitted parallel at the same time using different wavelengths or polarizations. data paths are able to cross each other without interference. – The superior velocity of light allow extreme processing speeds. – Optical computers are said to run much faster than electronic computers
– The development of its price is still expensive – Optical components can be build small and compact but not really miniaturized – Optical computers may use a different architecture. So these programs can not use the full optical computers – High-tech factory costs several millions up to billions of dollars to be built
Comparision of Optical computing with conventional computers
– Data paths are able to cross each other without interference – Based on two dimensions – High performance – Bottleneck could disappear – Less heat is released – Less noise – Change the shape and layout – The distance of communication does not matter – Long-range communication is possible. the data rate is very high and there is no crosstalk
– Crossed data paths are not possible – Based on three dimensions – Performance less than optical computing – Bottleneck could appear – Produce heat to a greater or less extensive – A lot of noise. developed fans to reduce noise – Built as a rectangular box (desktop) or as a laptop – Communication depends on the distance – Longer distances decrease of the practical transfer rate
– Wireless Optical Mouse – The ultimate speed is the speed of light. – Massaging your hand by infrared ray – Quick and stable temperature (at 45 +/- 1) for warming your hand – Safety material for avoiding damage the component of mouse – High precision option – Plug and play, no-driver required – Scroll without scrollbars – Optical tracking engine – Comfortable shape – low-consumption devices The mouse is designed to be used by youngger children and features a smaller form factor that allows for an easier grip. It also features a colorful design that will make your child more interested in using a computer. – The mouse itself is rated for up to 1 million clicks. The mouse features an 800 dpi optical tracking interface. Optical tracking is much more precise than a mechanical ball mouse, and is also less prone to mechanical failure.
Existing silicon technology would represent a potentially less expensive and more feasible way to mass-produce future-generation devices that would use both electrons and photons to process information, rather than just electrons as has been the case in the past.
Less than one year ago, created laser light from electrical current on silicon by placing a layer of the silicon.
This research builds upon the development of the silicon laser. Computer technology now depends on silicon electronics for data transmission. Researchers have used this platform to demonstratively electrically-pumped lasers emitting 40 billion pulses of light per second. because light can move thousands of times faster through solid materials than electrons and can carry more information at once, while requiring less energy.This is the first ever achievement of such a rate in silicon. Creating optical components in silicon will lead to optoelectronic devices that can increase the amount and speed of data transmission in computer chips while using existing silicon technology. optical chips based on silicon photonic crystals would include their reduced risk of overheating due to lower power needs.