Plaid shirts are in season and in style. They can be seen from the runway to the halls and the office. Shirts of this kind are one of the easiest and cost effective fashions. They are suitable, they suit both casual and semi-formal occasions. This design consists of crossed lines on fabric, but it can be given infinite variations by changing the thickness, color, number and arrangement of lines. It can be happy and loud or sad dark and serious. They also come in a variety of cuts. There are short-sleeved styles and long sleeved styles. There are men's flaid shirts and women's flaid shirts.
The choice of fabric also has a big effect on the look. A flannel shirt of this design is more casual and rugged-looking while thinner fabrics are more suitable for less casual circumstances. Women's plaid shirts are often cut differently to accommodate larger breasts and slimmer waists. Women, however, plaid designed shirts for men but it does not work vice versa. Plaid is a pattern so it is not a good idea to wear it with other patterns. It is best worm wit something neutral or plain, like jeans or items with only one color. Plaids also look very good with leggings, which is in vogue nowdays.
History of Plaid
This cloth design has a very interesting history. It has a rich life that involves war andression. The fabric is known as plain in North America but it is known as tartan in Scotland. Tartan is a pattern consistent of criss-crossed horizontal and vertical bands of multiple colors. These were originally of woven cloth.
However, there are various materials that use this pattern. Tartan is a fabric that was accorded very high importance in Scottish society. They even served as an identifying mark for various clans in the highlands and the islands. The British banned the wearing of tartan in Scotland in the 1700s. They saw it as a sign of rebellion against the empire. The ban is for a very long 37 years. Many people who collect the fabric.
In recent years plaid has become the visual identity of punks when it was used in the punk movement. Today you can see plaid used by the most popular designers and worn by the most popular supermodels. Hollywood celebrities like Madonna and others have also been seen wearing plaid.
Kinds of Plaid Shirts
· Flannel shirts. These are the most popular flaid worn these days. These are made of thick cotton so it is best for cold climates. They do a very good job of keeping the wearer warm. Darker colors also give a cozy look. Flannel shirts have a casual look so it is not recommended to be worn in the office. There are plaid shirts which feature patterns that look more contemporary. These shirts with a crisp and clean look are becoming more popular.
· Western shirt. This gives more of a cowboy look that you can see in Western movies. It has a very unique feature, which are patches on the shoulder. These patches may be of the same material as the shirt or it can be a contrasting material. The orientation of the lines often runs in a diagonal direction instead of the vertical and horizontal stripes on standard plaid shirts. Plaid shirts look good when paired with denim pants or skirts and is perfect for a day outdoors.
How to Wear Plaid
Plaid can be worn in many ways. It has been a fashion staple for many seasons now. Do not get left out. Your wardrobe should have these essentials, a white shirt, a tunic dress, a shirt dress and of course a plaid shirt.
· Lazy summer days. You can roll up your sleeves and leave the shirt unbuttoned. You can wear a tank top underneath and flats on your feet.
· School. Plaid shirts can be tucked into skirt and paired with ballet flats. You can also wear knee high stockings with the flats, but do not forget to accessorize.
· Winter and windy days. In cold season, plaid can help you stay warm and stylish. You can put over a stylish jacket, black skinny jeans and boots. Again, do not forget to accessorize.