The most important part of writing a successful dissertation is to come up with a topic that will keep you on track. Therefore, it is imperative to choose it wisely. Because if you fail to do so, the chances are you will start procrastinating and may even give up your degree. It is not only your dissertation that demands an in-depth research; your dissertation topic requires thorough research as well. Let's now find out how you can choose a topic that will facilitate your dissertation writing process and guarantee your degree:
1. Choose an interesting topic. You must have heard it hundreds of times before if not thousands. This is a very common suggestion and sometimes we tend to ignore the common things we know. Do not do that when you are in the process of selecting a topic. The title of your dissertation must fascinate you. If you find an idea for your dissertation that can make you scream with happiness, know this, you have found the topic.
2. Find gaps in knowledge in your area of study. It is essential to know what has been studied and discovered before, relevant to your field, and then try to identify the gaps in your field. See where the previous researchers lacked and where you find room for improvement. Once you manage to find a gap and figure out how it can be filled, you will easily select a title for your dissertation.
3. Keep a notebook with you and take notes. I can not stress enough the importance of keeping a notebook with you all the time. Whenever you are reading a book, an article or going through a journal, etc. make sure you take notes. Also, do not forget to take notes when you listen to lectures. Therefore, whenever you find something interesting that you think can be used as a topic, just write it down. When you go through your notes later, you might find something interesting that will serve as the topic.
4. Look for something clear, not vague. Your dissertation is your research which demonstrates your understanding of the subject in a clear manner. Therefore, it is imperative you find a topic that gives a clear picture of what you should write in your dissertation. Always ignore ambiguous and vague ideas.
5. Make sure you narrow down your topic. You may find a topic and then later ignore it as it will be broad. It's never a good idea to go for a broad topic. However, you must try to narrow it down before ignoring it completely. It is not easy to manage a broad topic as it will touch many different ideas. Here, it's a good idea to narrow it down and come up with a topic that will focus on a specific problem.
Follow the instructions as I have outlined in this article and you will definitely be able to choose an interesting, clear and narrowly defined topic for your dissertation. Remember, it will take a lot of research. Therefore, get ready to carry out an in-depth research.